Thursday, 6 September 2007

All Small Business Owners Should Learn Basic HTML

Nowadays with so many content management systems and software like Dream weaver making it much easier for people to learn how to update websites, all business owners (SME's anyway) should have basic HTML skills.

One of my pet hates is people who use the excuse they hate computers or won't take the time to understand the internet. The internet is crucial to so many SME's these days, for example getting your website on the first page of Google for a certain search term could be like advertising your business on Television around the world, which of course you would not be able to afford.

My other big pet hate is when business owners allow their cousins or nephew to build their site in a bedroom. Now I am not saying there aren't talented nephews or cousins out there but 9 times out of 10 these are the same SME owners who get a poor response from the Internet and wonder why...

My advice to any business owners is take time out and learn as much as you can about the internet and what it can do for your business. Just because you ignore does not mean your competition does. I never thought I would be selling half the stuff I do today through the net.

The net in simple terms can let a business tell the world instantly about any special offers or services you may want to offer. You can use it to update information, play around with prices and also the best thing about the net is you can go to bed knowing that your business is still available and interactive with the rest of the world. There is nothing better than waking up in the morning a couple of grand richer!!!

Here is an example : I have been working hard on one of my businesses Self Catering Cottages in Scotland to get it up the search engines for keywords like self catering Scotland. Now that I have achieved high rankings I have saved myself about £7k in commissions and more importantly increased my revenue. See my self catering cottage in the North West of Scotland I have only got 2 weeks left to sell, this is a massive improvement on last year when i relied on agents to sell my cottages.

So please all business owners learn as much as you can about the net, it could change your business over night...

No comments: